<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 17, 2004

Lordy. I didn't realize how much stuff actually happened to me in a week. I've only been off posting for about 7 days, and already I can tell this one is going to be a doozy, too. Okay, ready? Lets get started.

Last weekend we celebrated two things, the resurrection of Jesus (can I get an alleluia, finally?!) and the birthdays of two of my co-workers, Ian and Mike Sand. Mike gets a last name cause we know a *lot* of mikes around here, and because, for some reason, everyone calls him by his last name. So he’s Mike sand, and Ian is just Ian. So we went out and did one of my favorite activities in the world. You: “Binge Drinking?” Me: “No!” We went to The Comedy and Magic club in Hermosa beach. I gotta tell you, I love this place. I really, really, love this place. Whenever I have random friends coming in from out of town and I need to show them a good time, I’m taking them here. This place is awesome. The comedy is *superb*, I tell you, superb! I very nearly lost it on several occasions. The headliner this week was ‘Rocky LaPorte’. We’d never heard of him either, but he turned out great. And there were something like 6 other acts before him. Shorter, yes, but hilarious! Plus, if you have dinner there beforehand, you can get reserved seating up near the front. It’s a total evening! Plus, they have some really top-notch talent coming through. Jay Leno performs nearly every Sunday. I haven’t seen him, but he’s evidently really good. And he tries out some jokes for the ‘tonight show’ while he’s there, too. Big names of stand-up comedy, too. It’s a boatload of fun.

That was the good part of the weekend, here is the bad.

Sunday night, I woke up at about 12:00 midnight and was unable to breathe for a good 5 or 10 seconds. I now have newfound respect for asthma sufferers, cause not being able to breathe scared the *crap* out of me. I called up some Kaiser Permanente people (the good folks that take care of my health insurance), and they said that as long as I was breathing normally at the moment, that I didn’t need to come in to the emergency room. So instead I just wandered around my house for an hour, totally too scared to sleep. Eventually, biological imperatives took over, though, and I slept the rest of the night. This actually happened again, actually, Tuesday before my appointment with the ear-nose-throat guy. But tests revealed nothing major, and despite the fact that I wake up several times a night in fear that I may be about to choke to death, I’m doing pretty okay. The doctor suspects sleep apnea, but before we do an actual sleep study, I’m just going to have Mary come over and watch me sleep to see if I ever stop breathing.

Sidetrack for a moment. I told my parents about the sleep apnea test and they had this to say:

I wonder how much sleep you will get if your girl friend is at your place?

Love,
Mom

Two things.
1) Mary and I aren’t really that serious yet. I mean, it’s really obvious that we like each other, and we’ve been hanging out and enjoying each other’s company and getting to know each other, certainly. So I’d say we’re ‘dating’. But we’re not quite ‘boy/girlfriend’ yet. She won’t even let me hug her in public, though in her defense, we were in San Pedro at the moment, and there are a lot of Croatians there that would have eventually reported back to her parents. Evidently they know a lot less about their daughter’s love life than my parents do about mine. Aren’t you pleased, parents?

2) This is the kind of comment I expect to hear coming from me, not my parents. Truth be told, I’m a little bit proud. *Sniff*.

Back to sleep apnea. Like I said, no more occurrences, but Mary will offer the first test. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

What’s next…oh, here’s something intriguing. I didn’t go food-shopping for nearly a month. That’s right, a month. I was intending to at the three-week mark, but the sleep breathing stuff took up a lot of time, what with the doctor’s visits and all. So I went out and got a whole bunch of stuff a couple nights ago. I’m just saying…a whole month without shopping. Yowza.

Lets talk TKD. Among other requirements, there are physical tests you have to pass in order to get your black belt. Here they are.

100 Pushups
300 sit-ups
and one of the following:
Run 3 miles in 24 minutes
Swim 1 mile in 36 minutes.

AAAAAAH! Well, yes, very difficult, but that’s why I’m working on it right now. I’m up to roughly 60 pushups, but only about 110 sit-ups. I’ve started running, too. In order to do the requested running, I have to run at 7.5 miles an hour for 24 minutes, and we’ve got treadmills where I live, so I can measure that. Unfortunately, I can only keep 7.5 mph going for about .6 of a mile. But I’m working on it, and all this extra exercise has got to be good for me. Mary and I are having a competition to see which of us can get a 6-pack first. I have 3 months; she has a month and a half, cause I’ve got longer to go. Personally, I’d be surprised if either of us made it, cause I’ve always had a bit of a gut, and Mary’s, well, a girl. But if nothing else, it’s a good excuse. I’m aiming for the black belt, here. Lots of work involved.

My great Aunt has passed away. Not a huge surprise, we really saw this coming about a month or two in advance when she was diagnosed with cancer. But I’ve heard good things, like my periodic mailings were well received by her, and I know her daughter was able to come back and take care of her at the final hours. At any rate, I head up there next weekend to attend the…not funeral. It’s supposed to be a celebration of her life, which is perfectly fine by me. It may be a Christian Scientist thing, I'm not sure. But I'm down. I never felt comfortable at funerals, too much sadness that I don’t tend to share. I guess I’m still an optimist when it comes to death. Either that or I just haven’t lost anyone I’m so close too that it really hits hard. But one way or the other, I’m there next weekend, and get to see my grandparents and family again, so that’s always a plus.

*~~~~~~*Random Link of the Week*~~~~~~*

The Hunger/Rainforest/Breast Cancer/Animal Rescue Site. Make this your homepage. You can save rainforest, feed people, and do all sorts of other great things just by *clicking*. Plus, you can do even more neat things by buying some of their nifty stuff. Makes great birthday/christmas presents, eh? Do it! Do it now! Save the planet!

Okay, enough writing for now. I’m going to go shopping for…stuff…I’m not sure what, yet. I’ll let you know when I pick it up.

-N
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?